Artist: Alexander Handyside Ritchie RSA (1856); Michelle de Bruin (1998); Graciela Ainsworth (2012)
Location: Cromwell Harbour
A grade B listed structure erected in 1856 dedicated to the fishermen of Dunbar the Fishermen’s Monument also houses a forecasting barometer – hence its local alternative name The Barometer.
Monument erected by William Brodie of Seafield Brick & Tile Works. Musselburgh sculptor AH Ritchie (1804-1870) executed the marble relief work. Among his works are statues of Sir Walter Scott (Selkirk), Sir Robert Peel (Montrose) and Sir William Wallace (Lanark). Michelle de Bruin (1967- ) re-carved the main decorative panels in 1998. Graciela Ainsworth (1958?-) restored damaged stone panels in 2012.
Work on building the Cromwell Harbour started in 1655 and the structure, with its small basin, was completed about 1730.The harbour was used by Oliver Cromwell and his invasion force that defeated the Scottish Covenanters at the Battle of Dunbar.